Monday, 29 November 2010

New SSWG website

Most of the time I would have spent painting or gaming in the last week or so have been taken up by building out the new club website over at

The front page is basically a simple blog, so keep your eyes out for plenty of updates.
Behind this we have a new forum and gallery.

The gallery is very important as we had an extensive collection of photos on our old club site.
We are building this back up again now, starting with our scenery and modelling sections.

This along with a renovation of the table layout at the club itself will keep me busy right up to the holiday season.

Monday, 8 November 2010

A small update

So its been a busy week on the wargaming front.


On the painting bench this week we had the remaining figures for the 6 Battalions of French line infantry including all the officers for Regiment, Brigade and Divisional level.
We also started work on the divisional artillery battery. This will be 4 gun models made up of three 8 pounder cannons and a howitzer.

To provide backup to this growing infantry force, I began fitting together a collection of Perry's Heavy Cavalry figures.
Using the Lasalle unit size of 6 bases for a Cuirassier regiment with our base width of 60mm meant 3 figures to a base totalling 18 figures per regiment.
As we are gaming the early stages of the 1809 campaign in Bavaria, I settled on this regiment being the 10eme Cuirassier which was with Davout's III Corps in April.
Once this fine regiment is complete, I will do the second regiment in the brigade, the 11eme Cuirassier.

Aside from the continuing Napoleonic build up a fellow club member and I embarked on a side project for the Great Northern War in 6mm. We took delivery of the Baccus starter box which included armies for the Swedes and Russians, plus bases, buildings and a Polemos rulebook.
My Russians are prepared on sticks ready for undercoating this week.


Down at SSWG there was a trial run of Firestorm Armada by Spartan Games. My opponent was fielding his nicely painted Relthoza fleet, while I used a collection of Battlefleet Gothic Imperial ships as a substitute Sorylian fleet.

As we were setting out to learn the rules, we both fielded the recommended starter fleets of 1 Battleship, 3 Cruisers and 6 Frigates.

The action was short and fierce. We both noted how fragile the smaller ships were when hit, but I was able to get 3 Frigates onto the flank of a cruiser squadron and damage one quite effectively.

The game was certainly enjoyable and we will see more of the same this coming Wednesday. If we decide that this is a game for us, then I will no doubt "invest" in some official Sorylian ships as they are just so damn nice looking!

Lastly, I have promised myself that I will take the camera to the club for both the painting and gaming sessions this week.