Monday, 8 November 2010

A small update

So its been a busy week on the wargaming front.

Painting

On the painting bench this week we had the remaining figures for the 6 Battalions of French line infantry including all the officers for Regiment, Brigade and Divisional level.
We also started work on the divisional artillery battery. This will be 4 gun models made up of three 8 pounder cannons and a howitzer.

To provide backup to this growing infantry force, I began fitting together a collection of Perry's Heavy Cavalry figures.
Using the Lasalle unit size of 6 bases for a Cuirassier regiment with our base width of 60mm meant 3 figures to a base totalling 18 figures per regiment.
As we are gaming the early stages of the 1809 campaign in Bavaria, I settled on this regiment being the 10eme Cuirassier which was with Davout's III Corps in April.
Once this fine regiment is complete, I will do the second regiment in the brigade, the 11eme Cuirassier.

Aside from the continuing Napoleonic build up a fellow club member and I embarked on a side project for the Great Northern War in 6mm. We took delivery of the Baccus starter box which included armies for the Swedes and Russians, plus bases, buildings and a Polemos rulebook.
My Russians are prepared on sticks ready for undercoating this week.

Gaming

Down at SSWG there was a trial run of Firestorm Armada by Spartan Games. My opponent was fielding his nicely painted Relthoza fleet, while I used a collection of Battlefleet Gothic Imperial ships as a substitute Sorylian fleet.

As we were setting out to learn the rules, we both fielded the recommended starter fleets of 1 Battleship, 3 Cruisers and 6 Frigates.

The action was short and fierce. We both noted how fragile the smaller ships were when hit, but I was able to get 3 Frigates onto the flank of a cruiser squadron and damage one quite effectively.

The game was certainly enjoyable and we will see more of the same this coming Wednesday. If we decide that this is a game for us, then I will no doubt "invest" in some official Sorylian ships as they are just so damn nice looking!

Lastly, I have promised myself that I will take the camera to the club for both the painting and gaming sessions this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment